Saturday, April 12, 2008

Comment on "Needle in a Haystack"

When I first read this article I strongly disagreed with Shane's opinion. I simply thought that giving drug addicts clean needles was just enabling them to continue their pernicious habit. A few minutes after I finished reading the article I though about a few friends I have had that have dealt with the heavy burden of drug addiction. With them in mind, I completely changed my opinion on this issue. Many narcotic users know how bad their addiction is and genuinely want to stop using drugs. It is incredibly hard for those who are addicted, especially those who are addicted to strong narcotics like heroin, to fight for their sobriety and usually they cannot do it alone. This program gives them clean needles to stop the spread of HIV and AIDS, which in itself is almost a good enough reason for this program, but it also puts the drug addicts in contact with people who have both accepted the fact that the person is an addict and who have the desire to help the addict. People with drug addictions often need this combination in order for them to seek help for overcoming their addiction. This program can do that, so I believe that this program can help those with who come for the clean needles stop using those needles.

Here is a link to the article.

No comments: